Friday, January 10, 2014

VIDEO IN FOCUS

A blast from the past. During 1997/98 I was one of the reviewers for Video in Focus, a weekly 30 minute film review program that ran on the emerging Optus cable TV network in Melbourne. It was a fun show to do because we were still reviewing VHS titles and the video store culture was still relatively alive (though the warning signs were clearly there). We reviewed a lot of the newer releases and I had to sit through a fair bit of dreck but I also got to do a regular ‘one you may have missed’ segment, where I would review and discuss some older favourites. Some of the films I recall reviewing were Horror of Dracula, The Silent Partner, Mars Attacks!, Bloodsucking Freaks, Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town and Blue Sunshine. This would have been not long after I started shaving my head (I first shaved it just after my father had passed away earlier that year). One day I need to edit together a few selected highlights and get them uploaded...