Thursday, July 19, 2018

CUNNING STUNTS

Was a real treat getting to see STUNT ROCK (1979) on the big screen at the Astor this evening, my first time cinema viewing of this bizarre meld of theatrical rock and daring stuntwork, conceived as an attempt to make an international star out of acclaimed Australian stuntman Grant Page. The 35mm print screened was in exceptional shape and some of those old-school stunts looked even more exhilarating and hair-raising on the big screen. I have to say I quite dig the music of Sorcery, the theatrical rock band featured in the movie, who are reminiscent of Stonehenge-era Spinal Tap and unfortunately split-up soon after the movie was finished.
The screening was followed by a highly entertaining Q&A with the director and co-writer of the movie, Brian Trenchard-Smith, who gave some interesting insights into not only STUNT ROCK but many of his other films, which include such beloved Australian exploitation classics as THE MAN FROM HONG KONG (1975), TURKEY SHOOT (1982), BMX BANDITS (1983) and DEAD END DRIVE-IN (1986). I wish I had thought to ask him about his work on one of my fave 90s TV shows, SILK STALKINGS. I got to have a chat with him afterwards and told him about my wife Marneen's own career as a Hollywood stunt performer, which he asked about with a genuine interest. I also had him sign my DVD of NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD, the 2008 documentary on Australian exploitation cinema which he was interviewed and heavily featured in (his signature joins that of fellow interview, the fabulous John Michael Howson, and the director of the documentary, Mark Hartley).